Thursday 1 March 2012

Starting Couch to 5K

Yesterday I downloaded the free Couch to 5K app (the Zen Labs one) and today I tried it for the first time. The basic idea of this exercise program is to get bums like me off the couch and having us run 5km in just 8 weeks. You do three workouts a week for 30 min each with increasingly longer intervals of running between walking until you run the whole time. This all sounds wonderful and almost miraculous to me but I know a lot of people have done this successfully. I, however, am the exception, not the rule. Aw, this reminds me of He's Just Not That Into You. Guess what I'll be watching tonight?

The app itself is really well setup, totally easy to use. I didn't realise until close to the end that it actually has a voice (couldn't hear it over the music) but it vibrated with a message alert as well so I knew when it wanted me to change speed. Day 1 of Week 1 gets you to do 5 min warm up walking and then launches into alternating 60 sec intervals of running and 90 sec intervals of walking.

I realised during my exercise today that I actually haven't run for a full 60 sec since high school. How did it get this bad? I was on the advanced athletics team in primary school. So I did my 5 min of walking which got me to the park and up the hill to the walking track (think bush track, pretty but hilly) and then it told me to run. As I saw the alert on my phone I had a moment when I thought "how do I do this again? I don't think I'm capable of running" and then I just did it. I was running (well probably more jogging). Then about 30 sec in my body started saying "what the hell are you DOING??? We don't run!" the last 30 sec were some of the longest ever. I was so glad it was over and that no one had been there to see it. I was exhausted and if there had been a bed conveniently placed at the side of the track, I would have been in it and asleep in seconds. I think my body was in shock. I was in shock. I was really struggling to get my breath back (I have a cough which did not help) so I stopped for a bit before resuming walking. There was no way I was running again today so I walked the rest of the way.

Some may read this and think "my god, she can't even run for a minute?". And the answer is no I can't and that's exactly why I'm here writing this. Hopefully there are others who can relate and maybe will give running a go, even if it is only for 60 sec in the beginning. So I will not be running 5km 8 weeks from now but hopefully I will be running for more than 60 sec. I'm proud of my 60 seconds, its the best I've done in over 10 years. And we all have to start somewhere.

~Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment