Wednesday 29 February 2012

Two thumbs up

I know its early days and its probably the adrenaline talking but I am loving my decision to change my habits. I'm at the end of the first full day and while I haven't stuck strictly to healthy foods (I'll tell you later), I am still feeling really positive about this.

Part of the reason I am feeling so good about it is something that happened to me this afternoon. I had one of those moments where you know that someone up above is giving you two thumbs up for your decision. Out of the blue my boss dropped past my desk this afternoon and asked me if I wanted a spare copy of this great recipe she had photocopied. Now usually when we swap recipes it includes; chocolate, cake, butter, caramel, chocolate and occasionally peanut butter. But today's recipe was from Michelle Bridges' (Biggest Loser trainer) cookbook. A super healthy lentil shepherds pie. I had been wondering what to cook for dinner that wasn't unhealthy and bam, I got an answer and support. I know I'm on the right track. No one at work or even my family know about my decision or my blog because its not something I want to advertise, it's something I am doing purely for myself. Plus I have one of those huge, (lovingly) nosey, (lovingly) gossipy families and I would never hear the end of it if I had some ice cream. They are truly wonderful but sometimes their ignorance is my bliss. So to get back to the point; the recipe was not prompted in any way and it really made my day. Small things count.

So how did I go today? Not perfect (never will be) but better than yesterday. I had 2L water (yay!), a pear, a plum, a tub of low fat yogurt, a thumb sized piece of baklava, a sandwich made from soy and linseed bread, marg, baby spinach, cucumber and grilled Portuguese chicken breast (home cooked), a small can of diet coke, 4 small solid Easter eggs, a stick of sharp tasty cheese, a can of Pepsi max and the lentil shepherds pie (vegetarian).

So the bad stuff from today is pretty obvious; baklava and Easter eggs. I have to say that I don't regret either of them (the baklava was amazing!) but I think that I want to try cutting down to less eggs for my 'get through the last hour of work' sugar hit. Or no eggs... but I'm a realist and an opportunist; eggs are only for Easter and everyone knows chocolate tastes better shaped like an egg, how could I resist? Oh no, I've just remembered hot cross buns are available! I'm sure you will be seeing them pop up in a future post.

So did you get off your ass and walk like you said you would? I hear you ask. I did! I dragged my mum along for company which meant I went a bit slower than I could have (she has a bad knee) but I still got a bit puffed and hot so I think it did something. I also downloaded the Couch to 5K app today and I hopefully will try it soon. Its going to hurt; I live in a hilly area and everyone knows that:
hills + running = pain!
Oh well.

I have a new dot point for my plan.
  •  I must wait at least an hour after dinner to know if I'm actually still hungry before having a (healthy) snack
This new point was prompted my tonight's dinner. It was really tasty and looked like a good size in the bowl but I finished and thought 'where's the rest?'. I think this is partly to do with a smaller portion size but mostly because there wasn't much protein (or carbohydrate) in the meal which is what makes you feel full. So I'm writing this while wanting to raid the pantry but I will resist! At least for an hour... hopefully my tummy figures out its been fed.

Oh, and drinking 2L of water? The first massive downside of this plan. I have to pee ALL the time! I feel like a pregnant woman or something. Hopefully this is only temporary.

~Missy

Update: After writing this post I caved and had a snack. A snack box of dried apple and sultanas which is ok. Then my lovely mother decided to give me two of those mini cinnamon rolls you get from the Ikea grocery store. I couldn't say no and they were pretty yum. And yes I am way too old to be living at home, its temporary while I am saving for a house or until I realise I will never afford a house and go rent again.

No comments:

Post a Comment